Called "Common Threads," this is Diamond Dave Whitaker's latest enterprise: a live Open Mic event on 87.9FM Pirate Cat Radio featuring "Poets, story tellers and song writers." This is a super cool, friendly little cafe in the Mission with a not-so-secret identity as a pirate radio station. Performers either enter the studio proper to sit at a mic behind the glass or stay in the cafe among the customers to do their thang standing up at a mic in the front window.
Charming hostess Pam signs people up while Diamond Dave does his magic in the studio. Dave is one of San Francisco's originals, a regular at the 16th and Mission Open Mic and former host of the Brainwash Open Mic, not to mention just a legit dude altogether.
Read about my visit there on the bay area open mic blog.
- Signup: 3:30pm First come, first served
- Legnth: 4 to 6pm
- MC: Diamond Dave Whitaker (though Pam tends to run the sign-up sheet)
- Terms: One apiece, folks!
- Sound: Live and on the air!
- Info: 2781 21st Street , San Francisco , 94110 | (415) 341-1199